Skin Care Basics for Natural Beauty
We naturally beautiful women love our skin to be soft and supple. We can do this simply if we follow a few basic rules every day. I repeat – every day! We wear our skin every day, and if we neglect it, it will start to look old and dry and not be a sign of our natural health and beauty.
Just like your bodies need to eat good food and drink plenty of water every day, so does your skin. It doesn’t surprise me that there are some many thousands of skin care products on the market these days. But we can take care of skin (right now I’m talking about the skin on your face!) in a frugal, sensible and healthy way using common sense and some inexpensive products.
Here are some easy rules to follow:
1. Clean your skin every day. The most important part of skin care is to keep it clean. Cleansing is most important at night — yes, just when you may feel the most exhausted — but it’s a must to remove old makeup and the grime of the day. Dry and sensitive skin need cleansing just once or twice a day, but even oily and acne prone skin will benefit from gentle skin care — Too much washing, especially with harsh products, can be irritating and damage the skin.
2. Always wear sunscreen when outdoors, winter and summer. The sun’s rays can burn you even if you’re not feeling hot. Don’t let your skin be exposed to the sun for more than 15 minutes. Don’t forget to use sunscreen on your face and the back of your hands because these are constantly exposed to the sun’s rays.
See Part 2: S is for Skin Care Basics – So Simple!
Natural Beauty Skin Care Basics
Some more tips for basic skin care for natural beauty!
3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. I’m a former Luxury Spa Director and I have sold the best and most expensive products available. There are some fabulous lines out there, but you can moisturize your skin for pennies also. These days I’m partial to pure natural shea butter as the best moisturizer for your face. Jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, extra virgin olive oil – they can all be used on your face.
4. Exfoliate. Nothing makes your face look tired and old like dead skin. A gentle exfoliation once a week will slough off dead skin cells and make your skin glow like a baby! Use some olive oil and sugar for a gentle scrub. See previous post: E is for Exfoliation – The Natural Way.
5. Nourish your skin from within. I might sound like a broken record, but it’s the best music I can play for you. Drink plenty of water. Eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fiber. Take at least one multi- vitamin/mineral supplement to make up for lost nutrients in the soil or your diet. You are what you eat. Your face reflects your natural health from within. Take care of your natural health and you will be taking care of your natural beauty!
Maybe Mick and the guys can’t get no satisfaction, but I know you and I can. It’s just a question of deciding what’s satisfying and what’s not.
Can eating an ice cream cone give you satisfaction? Last night, I thought it could. Today, eating a salad can give me some satisfaction.
What about achieving a goal or succeeding in business? Can that give you satisfaction? For many, that’s what it takes. How about losing that extra weight that’s been holding you back? Fitting into that beautiful dress you bought last year and wearing it on your next date? Getting a new job or a promotion? Winning that race?
Satisfaction can be defined as the fulfillment of one’s wishes, expectations, or needs, or the pleasure derived from that fulfillment.
A lot of people have a hard time achieving satisfaction because they don’t know what would satisfy them. If you’ve been having a hard time with this, set small goals. Make them easy to attain. Pride yourself on that and maybe next time, or the time after, set a bigger goal and work towards that. Little bits of satisfaction add up. Give yourself a pat on the back and smile!
Smile for Natural Health and Beauty
Smiles can change your attitude immediately. Just lifting up the corners of your mouth instead of frowning can put a whole new perspective on a moment, or a situation, or your whole life.
Smiling looks good so therefore if you smile you will be more naturally beautiful. Smiling sends an invisible message to your brain that you are feeling good, and as we’ve seen before, the brain doesn’t know the difference between real and imaginary. So the brain sends a message to the rest of your body that things are going well, be happy, be healthy. Once the feel-good neurotransmitters that the brain produces are sent out to the rest of your body, amazing things start to happen. Your blood pressure goes down, your risk of cardiovascular disease or stroke diminishes, your whole body responds to a simple smile. And all of this happy feeling and stress relief can only slow down the aging process and increase your natural health and beauty.
According to The British Dental Health Foundation, a smile gives the same level of stimulation as eating 2,000 chocolate bars. Researchers of a study led by Dr. Dacher Keltner of the University of California found that, “Women who displayed more positive emotion were more likely to be married by 27, less likely to have remained single into middle adulthood and more likely to have satisfying marriages 30 years later”. This could be a big help to all of us healthy senior women!
Next time you’re feeling down, why not try looking up, smiling and singing “Zip A Dee Doo Dah” – It’s next to impossible to be in a bad mood if you’re smiling.