Summer’s here and the time is right for dancing in the streets (thank you Martha and the Vandellas – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdvITn5cAVc ). But how you gonna dance in the street with those feet?
We naturally beautiful women pay so much attention to our face and our hair and our skin (at least I hope you do!), even to our hands and our fingernails. But those feet way down there at the bottom of your body – THEY NEED CARE TOO!
You don’t have to go to a fancy salon to get an expensive pedicure - although for a great girlfriend gathering, book a couple of those posh pedicure thrones and grab a bottle of champagne!
DIY PEDICURE — You can give yourself a pampering pedicure at home. Just follow these simple steps for natural beauty for your feet:
1. Fill a great big bowl with warm water and take off all of the old polish. Tea Tree Oil will get rid of bacteria (about a teaspoon) mixed with a capful of deep cleansing witch hazel. Add these to a half cup of Epsom salts or Dead Sea Salts (to rejuvenate), and one drop of peppermint or three of rosemary oil (aromatherapy is great for rejuvenating your whole body). Soak your feet for five to 10 minutes.
2. Exfoliate (see E is for Exfoliation) and get rid of that dry, dead skin (especially for those of you who live in the desert!). Massage each foot for a minute or two with a small amount of your homemade sugar or salt scrub. Make sure you get the whole foot, every toe right to your pinkies! Use tiny circular strokes and get it all off, then rinse your feet with clean warm water.
3. Next get rid of those nasty calluses by using a wet pumice stone and a little gentle soap. With a back-and-forth motion, lightly scrape your heels, your toes and the bottoms of your feet.
4. Trim your nails. Then massage your feet with your favorite homemade moisturizer or some wonderful Shea butter mixed with coconut oil.
5. Separate your toes with toe separators or roll up a paper towel and weave it through your toes and apply a clear base coat that contains some nail nourishment like Vitamin E. Then polish your toenails with some of those wild and racy summer colors just made for sandals. Starting right above the cuticle, brush the bristles down the center of the nail towards the tip of your toe. Then brush the color on each side and across the edge of your nail. Once you’ve finished all of your toes, go back and do a second coat. Use a clear topcoat finish to seal in the color and prevent chipping.