Winning at weight loss is possible if you follow a few simple rules!
- Water – drink lots of it! – Drinking plenty of good fresh water is one of the most important keys to natural health. Water in will help with weight out by moving everything along. It will also keep you feeling fuller longer. Please see D is for Drink Water – How Much is Enough
- Don’t just sit there doing nothing – get up off your chair and move – less calories coming in and more calories burning off is how you lose weight! Get up and dance. Learn a new sport. Walk around the block. Just do something, anything that requires movement.
- Don’t starve yourself – Keep your body filled up with nutrition and energy from the time you get up until you’re ready to wind down at night You can’t be naturally healthy when you’re tired and drained from starving yourself .
- Don’t rush, eat mindfully – Make eating a meditation of nutrition and natural health. Pay attention to each bite and savor every morsel (see )
- Don’t give up – Like the little engine that could, so can you. Just keep on keeping on and you will see results. If you fall off the weight wagon, pick yourself, dust yourself off and start all over again!
- · Don’t follow fad diets – Eating grapefruit or hot dogs only may make a dent on the scale, but it will make a dent in your natural health also. Don’t be a follower, be a trend setter and eat healthy to lose weight.
- Don’t eat when you’re bored (or tired or angry or anything but hungry!)– Mindless eating is still eating! Eating a bag of chips without thinking does count. Fill your life with meaning and purpose, instead of just filling your mouth with needless food.
- Do pay attention to the size of your portions – Quantity does matter, even if it’s something called “diet food” ! See previous post – Pay Attention to the Plate!
- Do eat those healthy fruits and vegetables – Fruits and vegetables really are good for you. They are full of everything you need to be naturally healthy – vitamins, minerals, fiber. And when you’re naturally healthy, you’re naturally beautiful!
Eat Out & Enjoy It for your Natural Health
Who doesn’t like to eat in a restaurant? Someone to wait on you, someone to cook the food, and someone to do the dishes. Yes!
But if you’re trying to watch your weight or lose weight, sometimes restaurant eating can be challenging and confusing. Here are some tips to help you stay on target for your natural health:
1. Don’t starve yourself all day before you go to a restaurant! Hungry people make poor choices. Eat an apple or have a cup of low fat clear soup about an hour before you go out. This will take away the hunger pangs and let you make a conscious health decision.
2. You don’t have to eat everything on your plate. Many weight loss programs, including Weight Watchers recommend ordering a “to go” box when you order your food and putting half of the order in it before you start eating.
3. Portion sizes in restaurants can be enormous, and they will make you enormous as a result. If you’re seriously trying to cut down, order a salad to start with and then order your main dish off the appetizer menu. It’s usually enough to satisfy a normal appetite. See P is for Portion – A Primer for Natural Health.
See next post for Part 2 of E is for Eating Out – Rules for Natural Health
Weight Loss for Natural Health
We continue on with Ways to Win Your Weight Loss Wish!
4. Drink Water. I’ll say it again, drink more water. Water will fill you up. Water will help what goes in to come back out. Water will keep your skin and your hair luxurious and moist. Money might be the root of evil, but water is the root of natural health. I can’t say it too many times – so read my previous posts – D is for Drink Water.
5. Learn how to eat sensibly for the rest of your life. Fad diets don’t work. The pure boredom of eating uninteresting foods day in and day out will drive you to the ice cream store for a double dip super-duper deluxe size ice cream binge. You might lose a pound or two eating only grapefruit or whatever for a week, but this is not the way to learn how to maintain your ideal weight. And that’s really the goal. Not just to drop a number down on a scale, but to improve your natural health by weighing what you should.
6. Move your body. Get up and dance. Learn a new sport. Walk around the block. Just do something. You’ll never lose weight or be healthy if you just sit in one place – so add some steps to your life. You’ll not only lose some weight, you’ll feel better and when you feel better, your natural beauty soars!
7. Buy a 9″ plate and eat off of it. Size does matter. If you put food on a big plate, you’ll eat a big meal. You can fool the eye by eating off a smaller plate – it will seem like you’ve eaten more. And portion control is key to losing weight! (see previous post - P is for Portion – Pay Attention to the Plate.)
Tomorrow we’ll have more ways to weight loss! Stay tuned to Win!
Portion Sizes for Natural Health
Take precautions when it comes to portions! Here’s a guide to how much you should eat of things:
- A baseball or size of your fist would be one serving of vegetables or fruit
- A tennis ball measures about as much as ½ cup of food (for example, ½ cup ice cream)
- Golf ball or large egg is about a ¼ cup of dried fruit or nuts
- Six dice or one domino would equal one serving of cheese
- Deck of cards or the palm of your hand is the equivalent of a serving of meat, fish or poultry (3 oz.)
deck of cards
- Tip of your thumb equals about one-teaspoon of your favorite nut butter
- Computer mouse is the same size as one serving of a baked potato
- CD (compact disc) equals the serving size of a waffle of pancake
- Check book equals a 3 oz. serving of fish
- A rounded handful is about one half cup cooked or raw veggies or cut fruit, a piece of fruit, or ½ cup of cooked rice or pasta
Here’s a few more tips to help you cut down on how much your eat and therefore, take care of your natural health. Look at your plate of food. Roughly half of your plate should be full of vegetables, one-quarter should be your protein, and the last one-quarter should be your starch.
Read the labels on the package before you eat. Every one of them displays the serving size. A serving size can be different from a healthy portion size.
Portions Predict Natural Health
Super Size! Whopper! Over Size! Big Gulp! Watch out for all of these words – they will kill ya! People are getting fatter and fatter and as they get fatter, they get great big diseases – like diabetes or cardiovascular disease. As if being obese wasn’t enough of a problem!
Most of us don’t have to eat like there’s no tomorrow. I recently told a group of students the day before Thanksgiving that the day after Thanksgiving will be here soon enough. There will be another meal. Unless you are living in abject poverty or in a country overwhelmed by famine and drought and starvation, then take control of your natural health by taking control of your portion sizes!
There are a lot of easy ways to make sure you don’t supersize your plate and as a result, supersize your waistline. When you go out to eat at a restaurant, Weight Watchers has always suggested that you ask for a takeout container at the start of the meal and put aside half of what you are served. You save calories that way and you save money, and eating smaller portions can save your life. Share a dessert with your dining partners – you get a little treat and you don’t jeopardize your natural health.
If you like to have a snack while you’re watching TV, measure out one serving of your snack and then put the bag of chips away. The farther away the temptation, the less likely you’ll go to get more. And if you do go to get more, at least you’ll get some exercise!
Eat off a smaller plate and put your food on a plate rather than serving dishes on the table. Your family will thank you!
Begin each meal with a cup of clear soup or a green salad. You’ll fill up with less caloric and lower fat food and you don’t be tempted to eat so much! And you’ll probably be too full to eat dessert!