When bad things happen to good people, what can they do to get on with their lives, even when life isn’t fair?
Shit happens. Life sucks. It’s not fair. Yell. Scream. Cry.
Did that help? Maybe yes, maybe no. The truth is, this next moment comes no matter what you did the last moment. (It’s been said that people who consider suicide don’t really want to die, they really want things to be different and better).
Some days, you might just want to pull the covers over your head and stay in bed and feel sorry for yourself. Problem is, what are you going to do tomorrow?
If you stay in bed for too many days in a row, then you have to go find help. Find a therapist. Find a spiritual advisor. Join a 12 Step Program. Get help.
If you can actually pull yourself out of bed and want to face the next moment and the next day, here’s some tips to get you going in the right direction.
1. Accept the fact that things are going wrong right now. Take your time to allow the bad feelings to register. Feel bad. Then remember that This Too Shall Pass.
2. Stop. Take a breath. Concentrate on your breathing. In. Out. In. Out. Repeat.
3. Get a massage. Take a hot bath in relaxing scents. Drink some chamomile tea.
4. Watch a funny movie.
5. Play with a pet or a child.
6. Go out and help someone worse off than you.
7. Eat some chocolate chip cookies and drink hot chocolate (for non-diabetics only).
8. Make some art. I once started a collage without any idea what my intention was – when I finished, I had a large poster of smiling mouths and faces. Every time I looked at it, I couldn’t help but smile! (It took no talent, so don’t worry about that for goodness sakes!).
9. Get some fresh air.
10. Look up – at the sky, at the ceiling. Lift up your arms. Open your mouth.
Say – Zip