We’re not getting older, we’re getting better! And we’re getting even better without wrinkles. Here are 10 tips for preventing those wrinkles we don’t want!
1. Drink Water. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – Water is the #1 key to natural health and natural beauty. Our bodies are mostly water and when you’re dehydrated, it’s like a dehydrated grape – A Prune. (See previous post D is for Drink Water – How Much is Enough?)
2. Exfoliate your old, dead skin. Dry flaky skin on your face and body will make you look old, sallow and depleted. Try a natural sugar exfoliants or have some microdermabrasion. Getting rid of the old will make room for the new.
3. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. First, clean your face. Don’t go to bed with makeup on – No, no, no! Clean your face with a gentle cleanser and then apply a moisturizer. Here at NBW, we’ve got lots of suggestions and recipes for gentle homemade moisturizer using almond or olive oil — or use a $100 cream if you wish. Just make sure you put something on your face.
4. Wear sunscreen – all the time. A tan may be flattering, but wrinkles are not – so limit the amount of time you spend in the sun. And never, ever allow your neck and chest to get sun-burnt, that’s where you’ll first see those signs of aging. There are some healthy sunscreens. Smear them on your naturally beautiful hands and faces (we neglect our hands and they are always exposed to the sun’s rays).
5. Get a good night’s sleep. When you haven’t had enough sleep & you’re tired all day, the body produces excess cortisol, a hormone that breaks down skin cells. See Previous Post – S is for Sleep – Some Timely Tips for Sound Snoozing).
6. Don’t squint, you’ll get wrinkly eyes. Don’t scowl. You’ll get frown lines. But do smile – those smile lines around your face show that you’ve lived a good and happy life!
7. Eat healthy. The healthier you eat, the better your skin will look. The essential fatty acids in salmon and other cold water fish will help nourish skin and keep it plump and youthful, helping to reduce wrinkles. Anti-oxidant-rich fruits and vegetables help fight the damage caused by free radicals and will keep your skin looking younger and more radiant.
8. Don’t sleep on your stomach. If you sleep on your face, your brow will become furrowed. And if you sleep on your side, you’ll get wrinkles on your cheeks and chin.
9. Don’t smoke. We all know by now that it will kill you. And if that doesn’t make you stop, just know that it will also wrinkle you up like a prune. Smoking increases the breakdown of collagen and elastin which speeds up the thinning of your skin and brings on those nasty aging wrinkles.
10. Don’t worry. Be Happy! Stress and tension speed up the wrinkling process. Remember — we all get old, but some of us stay naturally beautiful forever!